Translate

Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Beware of the Japanese Giant Hornet

I have a rational fear of bees, wasps, hornets, scorpions...just any bug that could fight back. Whenever I see a bee or a wasp, my heart beats a lot quicker with fear (and some adrenaline), my legs would shake like I am in a middle of an earthquake, and I had to think of any excuse for not going back to the location where I saw them at. So yeah, when it comes to those kinds of bugs, I am a complete coward. Similar to almost 90 of people around the world that are scared just like me. "I am not scared of bees, wasps, hornets, and stuff like that," said no human being ever.

Japanese-Hornet-and-European-Honey-Bee
Here are the picture and the comparison
When I learned about the Japanese hornet oosuzumebachi (also known as the Asian hornet), I would literally die in fear. The appearance of them is scary enough. They're five times bigger than the size of a European honey bee. Known as the world's largest hornet, an adult Japanese Hornet is measured a whopping 4.5 centimeters long with a wingspan greater than 6 centimeters.

Before you can say They can't be that dangerous, I have some facts that might piss your pants unintentionally.


  • Japanese Hornets can kill up to 40 honey bees in a minute. There is a YouTube video that has 30 giant hornets that slaughtered 30,000 honeybees. 
  • The hornet's sting releases an airborne pheromone that is messages the home base (the nest) and rallies all the comrades to join in the battle (or massacre).
  • They eyes can shoot a stream of acid that immediately melt flesh.
  • They can outrun a running human being easy. Their speed is up to 25 mph (40.2 kph) and can travel up to 60 miles (97 km). So, they're faster than Usain Bolt, the fastest human being in the world.
  • They can reproduce 1,000 to 2,000 off springs
  • Another fact that could scare you: Asian Giant Hornets are attracted to human sweat, alcohol, sweet flavors, and sweet smells. 
  • Their sting is so deadly that it annihilates red blood cells that could cause kidney failure or even death. It's not just one sting, it's MULTIPLE STINGS.
  • It only takes one Japanese Hornet to kill someone (or cause serious harm)
  • Dozens of Japanese people (30-40) died from their attacks. Their average deaths are far worse than deaths caused by a bear and venomous snake attacks. Let that sink in your mind for a couple of minutes. A huge wasp that is a size of a human thumb is more dangerous and deadlier than a bear...

For Americans that are doing sighs of relief and belief that they're OK since they're not in America...I'm sorry but I have to bust your bubbles. In 2012, a Japanese giant hornet was found in a small house in Illinois. It patrolled their front yard while hovering on shrubs. Later on, the giant hornet attacked a Yellow Jacket nest.

The Japanese Giant Hornets appeared in Alabama, California, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia. And now I am considering buying a dome around my home since they are in Lousiana (US State that I live) so I wouldn't have to fight/run for my life.

But luckily, like anything else, it can only attack when you provoked it in any way. To avoid getting stung by it, you MUST NOT:
  • Disturbed the nest in any way (such as any kinds of vibrations and loud noises). That means I can't play my EDM music loud.
  • Being within a few meters of a nest
  • Disturbed or even trying to kill a hornet within a few meters of a nest
  • Blocking their path
  • Breathing on the nest or the hornet
  • Rapid air movements

If you unluckily get stung by it, please seek help immediately before it's too late.

For the macho men that tell me that I am a coward for being scared of those Hornets, I am not a coward, but I am not stupid. I am a SMART coward (emphasis on smart) when it comes to something that kills people almost instantly. I am trying to give you some advice onto not mess with them so you have a function (or at least function enough) body and organs. If you want to ignore my advice and mess with them, I warned you so it's either you might go to the hospital after being stung a hundred times or barely make it out alive with a lot of melted flesh. 

DO NOT DO THIS:



Also, for women that would ask me if I could risk my life trying to kill the hornets for me, you watched way too much Disney movies. It's one of those few scenarios that I can't do anything about it. You best know how to run faster than me.

Moral of the story: If you don't mess with them, they won't think of you as a threat, and you'll be fine.

Stay safe,
Jay Nakamura

Massive killer hornets on deadly rampage heading to America | RoadtrippersSome reports indicate the Giant Asian Hornet is already nesting down in the U.S.A.
Giant Hornet | BadSpiderBites.com